This is my 100th post!
Yeah, I know, not that impressive for a blog that has been going for so long. Being a writer, I should have reached this milestone long ago. However, I am willing to celebrate the small victories on the way to greater ones. Aren't you?
I am looking for an opening line for a short story.
After being on a short story craze lately, I am looking for inspiration. So, pen your best sentence and submit it in the form below along with your name and email. The winner will receive a free e-book version of the story I write to follow their opening line. The book will appear on Smashwords and Amazon complete with cover designed by yours truly.
Just think of the boasting rights. ;)
For inspiration, I offer the following opening lines:
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a fortune must be in want of a wife." - Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
"Call me Ishmael." - Moby Dick by Herman Melville
"'Christmas won't be Christmas without any presents,' grumbled Jo, lying on the rug." - Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
"Rose sat all alone in the big best parlor, with her little hankerchief laid ready to catch the first tear, for she was thinking of her troubles, and a shower was expected." - Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott
"The trouble started the day Howard came home from school to find the Goon sitting in the kitchen." - Archer's Goon by Diana Wynne Jones
"'I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one.'" - Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
- Sentence must be of your own creation.
- Entries will be accepted Nov 7 - 9.
- Winner will be chosen solely on the writer's preference.
- The winner will be announced on Nov 10. Up to three entries are allowed.
- The e-book will be produced in as timely a manner as possible.
- All names and email addresses collected via this form are for the purpose of contacting the winner only. They will not be sold or distributed.
- Contest is open internationally.
- Prize is valued at the price of the e-book upon distribution.
- Please direct any questions to anavrea at yahoo period com.
Thank you for participating.
- Rachel Rossano